Sunday, December 18, 2011

Week 4 in the MTC

Hey everyone!
This week has just flown by! It is seriously amazing though how time is literally going slow and fast at the same time! I have already been here a month...but that also has seemed like an eternity!
 
Anyways...the Spanish is coming fairly well...It is hard to understand natives right now who speak very fast...but most of the time we are understanding about 95 % of what our teachers are saying...but they always repeat things and speak more slowly which makes it more doable.
 
Anyways....we had some awesome speakers this week. In Relief Society on Sunday, Ann Dibbs (President Monson's daughter) came and spoke to us. She is also in the General YW's presidency. She was fabulous and she told us such awesome things about her father and bore her testimony that she really does know that he is a prophet of God.  On Sunday night the BYU men's chorus came and sang for us and they were absolutely fabulous. It was great to finally hear some music for an extended period of time. On the Tuesday night devotional...The YW's General President, Elaine S. Dalton, came and spoke to us. She was also fabulous and I learned so much. I love that we get to have so many devotionals every week.  
 
Anyways....some funny and frustrating experience's from this week...First... I was trying to get an accompanist in order to try out for a musical number in a devotional while I am here...but the church is a tiny bit too stingy on copyright laws. They will not copy anything...even if it is a rehearsal copy. And even though the music is not being performed in a program that is producing any money at all they still will not do it. If I had known this when I came I would have made as many copies of everything that I would need. To say the least it was super frustrating and I was grateful that I brought some blank manuscript paper. I just copied out the violin part so my accompanist could have the score. I hope this doesn't prove to be another problem in the future when I get out into the field too. Anyways, the audition went well and I guess we will see what happens. 
 
As for a funny experience...when we were teaching our "progressive investigator" Favian this last week, he was telling us all about how he was confused about our message because he had been talking to his friends and they were saying things that made him question everything.  In explaining how to overcome this confusion by reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it...I accidentally used the word mismo instead of menos.  Mismo=the same...menos=less. I was trying to tell him that he would become less confused as he read the BOM but I guess it came out as that he would be the same confused if he read the BOM.  Pretty funny eh!!!???!!! Good thing we have language training for 9 weeks before we go out so that is a little less likely to happen. 
 
Okay...update on the Visa status...I have heard some rumors from some other people that are going to Spain, that Spain has been in very bad shape when it comes to the employment rate...so just recently they changed some governmental person and he is changing the process for visas. Now it will supposedly take 3 months and all our stuff will have to be resubmitted by church travel. These may just be rumors...I will let you know when I find out for sure...but I may be spending 12 weeks in the MTC or get shipped off to somewhere in the states in the meantime while I wait for my visa... A little frustrating...but I guess God does know what he is doing and what he wants to have happen so I will just trust that. 
 
Anyways...I better go! 
 
I have loved hearing from all of you on DearElder.com by the way! Keep it up!
 
Love,
Hermana Eyre

No comments:

Post a Comment